Monday, April 13, 2009

I'm Around Here Somewhere

It's been quite a while since I've last posted, promising to provide some reviews of the schools I interviewed at for entrance in 2013. I'm still going to do that - sort of. At this point, I've heard back from every school I applied to way back last summer, and have narrowed my choices considerably. For anyone who cares and doesn't know already - I'm essentially deciding between The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine. My new plan is to record my impressions of each school after the interview and revisit weekends over the coming two weeks.

Here's the breakdown of how things worked out for me this interview season. (Keep in mind that I had to apply before I knew my MCAT score so there is quite a range of schools and far too many of them, which is why I didn't even interview at some of them after I got an invitation. If you know your scores don't be dumb and apply to less schools than I did.)

Accepted
  • University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
  • University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
  • Albert Einstein College of Medicine
  • NYU School of Medicine
  • BU School of Medicine
  • SUNY Downstate School of Medicine
Waitlisted
  • Yale University School of Medicine
  • Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
  • Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
  • Weill Cornel Medical College
Rejected
  • Harvard University Medical School
  • Stanford Medical School
  • UCSF School of Medicine
Didn't Even Bother To Reject Me
  • Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
  • New York Medical College
I Didn't Finish The Application/Didn't Go To Interview/Forgot to Withdraw Application
  • Tufts University School of Medicine
  • Stony Brook School of Medicine
  • Northwestern School of Medicine
  • Mount Sinai Medical School
  • Duke University School of Medicine
After all this, I can say with absolute certainty that applying to Medical School is a hilarious and painful thing, full of ups and downs. After getting into the University of Chicago early on in the game I withdrew my application from quite a few places. Then I was waiting pretty anxiously during February and March to just hear back from the rest of my schools, and was rewarded with a slew of disappointing waitlist decisions. I would say I was at my lowest when I got accepted to Penn, literally the last place I was waiting to hear back from, and strangely also the most highly regarded place I interviewed at - go figure!




No comments: